10 BEST HYGROMETER MODELS & WHICH TO GET FOR YOUR GREENHOUSE
One of the most important factors to consider when keeping a greenhouse or garden, either as a professional or a hobbyist, is to know how to manage the humid conditions of the place. Humidity is simply, the amount of water vapour in the air and this affects the moisture level in the greenhouse or garden. When the level of the water vapour is very high (too much humidity), condensation occurs which can lead to a transfer of diseases and growth of fungal pathogen such as Botrytis. Over the years, humidity plays a significant role in the choice of plant to keep in our greenhouses or gardens, because the plants can only thrive in conditions that are similar to that of their native region. However, technology has made it possible to be able to keep those plants you love while regulating the conditions required for them to grow well. This is made possible by the aid of a device known as a Hygrometer. Although there are several hygrometers out there, this post will guide you on how to choose the best hygrometer for your greenhouse or garden!
FEATURES TO LOOKOUT FOR WHEN CHOOSING THE TYPE OF HYGROMETER TO BUY
As you are planning to purchase a hygrometer for your greenhouse, there are some factors you must check out before buying so that you can get not just the one that would suit your needs but the one that is also cost effective. Below are some of the key factors in no order of preference:
- ACCURACY: Getting a hygrometer that gives accurate reading is not really possible. However, it is advised to go for devices that monitor the changes in temperature and humidity with marginal error of about 3%RH (Relative Humidity).
- EASY TO USE: No one would love to get a device that is too difficult and complex to use. Hence, a simple or less complicated model that would not require many years of experience would be a better choice.
- AUTOMATED SWITCH FEATURE: Aside from considering the cost of purchasing the device, it is also necessary to go for the one that would not incur more expenses after purchase. For example, there are some hygrometers that does not have an auto shut off feature and this might cause the increase in your electricity consumption and bill. This auto shut off feature enables it to shut down automatically when not in use.
- SIZE: Are you bothered about the size of your greenhouse or garden space? If yes, then you don’t have to. This is because hygrometers come in difference sizes ranging from the one that could perfectly fit into your Cigar humidor to the one that can suit your larger greenhouse space!
- MULTIPLE SENSORS: There are several hygrometers that support multiple sensors which are connected to a master device. This is an added advantage for you if you have multiple rooms and you need to monitor the level of humidity and temperature at a go. Some hygrometers with apps do support this feature.
- DOWNLOADABLE APPS: Recent hygrometers now have apps to which they pair to, where you get information remotely delivered to your device! They do these either with Wifi and Bluetooth connection.
10 BEST HYGROMETER REVIEWS
- AcuRite 02083M Home Temperature & Humidity Station
This device has amazing features that keeps you updated about the humidity and temperature conditions of your greenhouse or that special place you want to monitor. It comes with a bold, weather station display with three wireless sensors which means you can monitor the temperature and humidity level in any four locations within and outside your house at once. It comes with about 40 different labels to help you name the places you are monitoring on display. The records are shown on an easy-to-read colour screen. Other benefits of these device is that besides humidity, it measures temperature, barometric pressure, time and date, and also predicts 12-24 hour weather forecast.
They are compatible with other AcuRite models. They would help you to know your readings through an app or offline in cases where you do not have access to the humidity monitor. AcuRite is one of the trusted brands if you want to get a hygrometer because they guarantee precise and accurate readings!
- Temp Stick Wireless Temperature & Humidity Sensor
This multipurpose device is perfectly fit for you if you want a device that allows you monitor the temperature and humidity conditions of your house On-The-Go! It is an all-in-one wireless sensor that remotely tracks temperature from (-40oF to 140oF) and humidity from (0 to 100%). Once connected to your WIFI network, it sends texts and email alerts for any important changes in temperature or humidity to your device when the connection is out of range or the battery level is very low.
- ThermoPro TP65A Thermometer Hygrometer
The TP-65A thermometer hygrometer has a receiver that can display up to 3 outdoor remote sensors. It gives all time/24 hour Max and Min records so as to keep you updated. It is cold resistant and it can monitor temperature as low as -31oF (-35oC). It has a large LCD display with touchscreen blue backlight that makes the screen easy to read in low light conditions and automatically turns off after 15 secs to help prolong the life span of the battery. Its compact size and multiple placement features, makes it fit into any desired space.
- AcuRite 00613 Digital Hygrometer & Thermometer
This is another digital hygrometer and thermometer model from AcuRite. It is mainly designed for indoor use. It is pocket-sized, portable and has multiple placement features that allows it to be placed anywhere. It is durable and also gives accurate reading of both high and low humidity and temperature conditions daily.
Due to its straight to the point and reading at a glance feature, itwould be recommended for those who are just getting familiar with the hygrometer.
- Govee Wireless Humidity Works with Alexa
This hygrometer has multiple functions for your convenience. You can monitor the readings remotely via WIFI after downloading the app. It has strong data storage for over 2 years for download. It is portable in size, hence it can be placed anywhere of your choice. It also has a unique dual display ways. It helps to not only read temperature and humidity on your phone, but also read directly on the thermometer hygrometer. If you choose to buy multiple sensors, they can also be paired to the device and calibrated through the app.
- ThermoPro TP53 Hygrometer
This hygrometer is also another model from ThermoPro and it is also mainly for indoor use. Its bright yellow backlight beautifies your room while the humidity gauge measures the comfort level of your room. This backlight with a switch feature makes it easy for reading the results and to avoid eye strain in low light conditions. However, the light turns off automatically after 15 seconds of inactivity.
The temperature units can be switched conveniently and it also allows you to see temperature/humidity in the last 24 hours. It also has multi-placement features i.e it can be either stuck on the wall, or placed on a table. It’s very affordable and efficient.
- Cigar Oasis Analog Hygrometer
It is the most accurate and quality analog hygrometer. Its readability and recalibration is very easy. It is fog and scratch-resistant. This device is specifically designed for use in cigar humidors just as its name implies.
- Govee Thermometer Hygrometer
Would you prefer a more cost effective products for your hygrometer purchase? Govee digital hygrometers provides pairing of the device to an app at a very affordable rate. The app uses Bluetooth to connect with available multiple sensors.
However, the sensor has multiple placement features and also serves as the monitor for easy readings.
- SensorPush Wireless Thermometer/Hygrometer
If you want a smart hygrometer for a very small space, then this one is for you. However, you would have to download the SensorPush’s free app and pair the sensor via Bluetooth to monitor the readings. After that, you can store and view unlimited data. This hygrometer is best used for indoor purpose. Nevertheless, it can also be used outside in protected areas.
- AcuRite 02097M Wireless Humidity Sensor/Thermometer
This is another model from AcuRite. It has a main unit that displays readings (LCD screen) wherever it is placed and a sensor that both track the relative humidity and temperature (both in Celsius and Fahrenheit). It is can be used for both indoor and outdoor purpose. It has strong signal penetration (enhanced 433 MHz) at up to 165 feet (50 meters).
It is advisable to put both the display and sensor at different locations as they can also fit into desired position due to their multi placement feature to ensure moisture is not escaping. You can either scroll through to see the readings from where they are placed, or set it to auto-cycle.
WHAT IS A HYGROMETER?
A hygrometer is a device that uses changes in pressure and temperature to determine the level of humidity in an environment. It is often referred to a humidity meter or humidity gauge.
Hygrometers are not only used to monitor greenhouse or gardening humidity. They are also used in ensuring food storage areas are moisture free, to monitor wine cellars, the level of humidity needed for one’s health and many more.
HOW IT IS USED?
Older hygrometer devices needs to be calibrated before use and also from time to time. However, recent technologies have developed new hygrometers that are already calibrated and are ready to use. Some of them might just require you connecting them to sensor after which you have downloaded the app that comes with it. You can then place the sensor wherever you want to check the humidity level and carry out the test!
TYPES OF HYGROMETERS AND THEIR USES
- ELECTRICAL / DIGITAL HYGROMETER: They use capacitance or resistance to measure the amount of humidity in the air. They read the humidity level by the amount of electric charge stored in the metallic plates (for capacitance) or ceramic plates (for resistance) when they are exposed to air. They are the most commonly used hygrometers. They are also fast and accurate.
- PSYCHOMETERS: This hygrometer consists of a set of twin thermometers – a wet bulb and a dry bulb. The decrease in temperature level in the wet bulb than that of the dry bulb indicates evaporation had occur. Humidity is the cause of the changes in temperature. Ideal for outdoor humidity.
- DEW POINT HYGROMETERS: They are used the measure the saturation of moist air in a gas. They are the most precise of all the different types of hygrometers. This is because they are used to determining the minute quantity of moisture.
Although, most people believe that the higher the price, the higher quality. It is however important for you to know that are very efficient. It is however, advised to check out for the one that would serve the purpose for which you are buying it efficiently regardless of the price.
- Top Garden Tillers Guide: 8 Best Choices for You
- Top 7 Best Dump Carts For Lawn Tractor and Garden Tractor/Mover
- Best Crops for Fall Gardening
- Best Rubber Boots For Farm Work (Men And Women) 2020
- Best Humidifier/Dehumidifier for Grow Room/Grow Tent
- Top 7 Best Homesteading Books for Beginners [2020 Reviews]
- Best Vegetable Seeds for Planting to Feed Your Family