From Scratch Magazine Presents

The song is Red Clay Halo from Gillian Welch on her album Time (The Revelator)

from-scratch-sign-up-now
Enter your email address:

Comments

comments

33 Comments

1. I am looking forward to recieving your magazine. Being raised on a dairy farm to a very self sufficient family. We raised all of our own food,canned, butchered, made cheese, wine, sewed our own clothes, on and on. I became a “gord-a-holic” several years ago, fell in love with gourds, I paint them. I still do can, sew etc. I will be 73 years old in June, love life!

• I have a friend who is gourd crazy too!!! She paints them and makes birdhouses out of them.

• I have a big box of gourds, unfinished and still dirty…I have had them for over ten years! How hard is it to prepare them to paint? I would love to paint them! We have sheep, goats, chickens, I bake my own bread, can, garden and love the country life!!

• Wash them with a mild soap and let dry, then start painting them. After done painting spray with a clear coat sealer. To drill a hole in them first drill a small hole then go bigger, you might want to tape around where you are drilling to prevent it from splintering. They are easy to work with and a lot of fun. I am getting ready to bushel gourds as I write this. Good luck and have fun.

2. Comment

3. Please sign me up for you subscription!

4. Comment

5. Love your site and anxious to get your magazine! I love my chickens and do lots of veggie and flower gardening.

6. Please sign me up for the magazine.

7. I’d like to subscribe to your magazine

8. Greetings and congratulations on your magazine. Look forward to receiving it. I sew a little a fair cook although plenty to learn yet. My dear husband Sparky plays the keyboard for our enjoyment we garden a little…well Sparky gardens a lot. In the past we have resorted to waiting for our neighbors to go to work or church and leaving bags or buckets of produce near an entry way. We have since found local food pantry that is able to receive our excess. We are a couple of elder’s who were city kids, as children played in the dirt and pretended to live in the country. We did not know each other as children, but met later in life and we try to have fun daily. That is a little about us thank you for your magazine. Oh one more thing. What is the name of the song and artist on your video? I really like the music. Thank you.

• Oupsie! I now see the name of the artist I inquired about, just below the video. No need to answer the above question.

• Thanks for stopping by! The song is Red Clay Halo from Gillian Welch on her album Time (The Revelator).

9. Please sign me up !

10. looking forward to your magazine! It’s great to know that i’m not the only “weird old lady” out there!! I meet with a group of ladies every Tues. night to spin, knit, quilt, just whatever we want to work on that night. It’s great to be able to share my love of self sufficiency with my grand kids now. Best of luck with your magazine.

11. Please sign me up for your magazine too. I keep chickens, make our own bread, butter, yoghurt, etc and sew and knit. We also grow our own veg and fruit. Thank you

12. This is exciting! I really like the term modern homesteader. Despite being a city girl I love pretending as much as possible that I am a homesteader. Bread bakes in the oven, sewing machine is parked on the dining room table and we are constantly planning the garden we don’t yet have. I think our first goal for 2013 is garlic.

13. Please sign me up. This looks like it will be a great magazine.

14. I can’t seem to find the registration form, so I really hope you will see this and sign me up. We just moved to the most wonderful house in the country, and both my husband and I come from homesteading families. Unfortunately for us, our parents wanted away from the lifestyle, so we really never learned anything. But we really are excited to start homesteading on our own :-) I can’t wait for your magazine.

15. We just got our small piece of land, a few chickens and are waiting for spring to put inour first garden. I do can and dehydrate, but never learned to sew. I am trying to learn to hand sew though.Planning on getting milk goats this summer too. Sounds like your magazine would be perfect for us.

16. Well, I guess, I’m the oldest one in the bunch that still can jars of food! I will be 90 in June, just today canned 7 jars of pecans in the pessure cooker, was 80 when my boys decided tht I needed a computer, as you can see I make mistakes, lots of them,but we press on, I live i city limites of Texarkana Texas, cant have chickensyet, but I’m workin on it, I have a container and raised garden and about 3 feet on the right side of my carport, and you can believe that its been planted also, I still guilt the old fashion way by hand, do crafts, and love to read about all of you others out there that farm, was born and raised on a farm in depresion days when there was no money, no electricty, no fridge,no running water, no bathroom, and NO DR PEPPER!!!!!!!!

17. Please sign me up for your magazine it sounds awesome!?!?!?

18. Is this just going to be a digital magazine or are we going to be able to get a copy we can hold in our hand and read. You know us people who do things the ole timey way like to be able to set in a easy chair with a good magazine and drink a sweet tea or hot coffee.

19. looking forward to receiving magazine…

20. Cant wait to get your first issue. I’m a sr, living on a farm by my self here in Pa. My husand passed away from cancer 2 yrs ago, and this farm has been in his family since 1900. I love to can, bake bread, cookies and love to try new recipes. You can’t beat homemade! Life is so precious and I’m enjoying my life and I can’t wait to see what tomorrow will bring.It’s really the simple things in life!

21. Hi. I am a 50 year old trying to start a farm in Northwest Alabama. We are planning to grow fruits, vegetables, and our own meat and have a couple of milk cows. I am raising three of my grandchildren with my second husband John. He is wonderful. I am truly looking forward to your magazine and would love to hear some stories from Estes Mills about the depression. And do not worry about the computer thing Estes, my kids tell me I am computer challenged and I work on this thing all day as a medical transcriptionist. Blessed be to all of you. KJD

• So glad I found this magazine . It is beautifully done. Thanks for a great job and looking forward to the next!

22. I really look forward to this! I wish you well.

23. The Grow Veg program looks to be quite helpful.

24. Well Done! What a great magazine with a treasure of information. Thanks so much. I look forward to the next issue.

25. Great video…Love the song!
    Could you say what software was used to create the video? Looks like much more is possible with it than the basic Movie Maker software.
    Great job on the magazine!

26. I love the magazine, but would also like in hard copy! Tried to print out some of the articles but couldnt, it would be handy for doing some of the projects. Thanks

Submit a Comment